Shibbir Ahmed, Washington, D.C.: The possibility of renewed diplomatic engagement between Washington and Pyongyang has emerged, but there are no signs of tensions easing. U.S. President Donald Trump has expressed interest in meeting North Korean leader Kim Jong Un again later this year. Shortly afterward, North Korea launched approximately 10 short-range ballistic missiles, further escalating tensions.

Amid Trump’s renewed interest in holding a summit, Pyongyang has made clear that it is not prepared to return to negotiations based solely on the two leaders’ personal relationship. Kim Jong Un’s influential sister, Kim Yo Jong, said that although Trump and her brother have a good personal relationship, North Korea’s strategic and national security interests would not be sacrificed under any circumstances. Pyongyang’s position suggests that a major change in Washington’s policy may be necessary before new negotiations can take place.

North Korea Sends a Message With Missile Launches

On Thursday, North Korea launched approximately 10 short-range ballistic missiles from the Pyongyang region toward the sea to the east. South Korea’s military said the missiles traveled approximately 300 kilometers. Following the launches, an emergency security meeting was held in South Korea, while surveillance and intelligence-sharing with the United States and Japan were strengthened.

South Korea condemned the missile launches and called on Pyongyang to stop such provocative actions. The United States, South Korea and Japan also coordinated their responses to North Korea’s latest missile launches.

U.S. Also Scales Back Military Exercises

As part of efforts to improve relations with North Korea, the Trump administration has decided to reduce joint military exercises between the United States and South Korea. The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise was originally scheduled to last 11 days but ended Friday—six days earlier than planned. Joint field training exercises were also reduced.

Trump’s decision is being viewed as an effort to reopen diplomatic channels with Pyongyang. However, North Korea does not appear to consider the move sufficient. Kim Yo Jong has continued to describe U.S. policy as “hostile” even after the reduction in military exercises.

How Likely Is a New Trump–Kim Summit?

Trump and Kim Jong Un have previously met three times. However, after their 2019 summit in Hanoi ended without an agreement, negotiations over North Korea’s nuclear program effectively stalled. If a new summit takes place, North Korea’s nuclear program could once again become the central issue.

But the situation is more complicated than it was previously. Pyongyang has further expanded its nuclear and missile capabilities, while its relationship with Russia has also deepened. As a result, analysts believe Kim Jong Un could enter any new negotiations from a stronger bargaining position than before.

Overall, Trump’s interest in another meeting and North Korea’s missile launches are sending two very different signals. The contrasting developments have once again drawn global attention to the Korean Peninsula. The key question now is whether Trump and Kim can return to the negotiating table despite continued missile launches and military tensions.